Thanks to the generosity of a private landowner, an overnight campsite is now available to hikers of the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail.
- 3 Sites (tent platforms)
- Water (must be treated/filtered)
- Camping is available on a first-come-first-serve basis
- Maximum stay at one overnight site is 2 nights (for those hiking out and back to Mount Monadnock).
- We promote Leave No Trace backcountry ethics and hope overnight hikers and backpackers leave a site better than they found it
- Camping is permitted only at the designated site.
- Boil, filter, or chemically treat all water from backcountry sources.
- Respect the landowner and neighbors and keep the noise level to a minimum.
Directions to Troy campsite
As you approach from the south on Prospect Street, you’ll come to Troy Depot (old train station building) slightly off to your right, just before the intersection of Russell Avenue. Continue straight on Prospect for one block and take a left on High St. Shortly you will pass a green house on the left and at about ¼ mile from the turn you will see the small marker (pictured above) on the left. If you get to mailbox #40 you have gone too far. Cross the stone wall and enter the woods at this point. Follow the signs to several campsites, the first of these will have a split rail fence and bench. A privy is nearby, as well as two other tent sites nearer to the brook (water source). In picking up the trail again upon leaving, go straight down High St. to the traffic circle/common and continue straight along the south side of the common, taking a right turn on Route 12.
If you are following the trail from the north (Gap Mt.) on Route 12, go left as you enter the traffic circle/common, proceed along the south edge of the circle/common and go straight up High St. Look for Prospect St. coming from the left and follow the directions above on High St. In picking up the trail again when leaving, simply retrace the steps above for those coming from the south. Proceed down High St., right on Prospect and then a left on Russell Avenue.